BabyFetus Ticker

Wednesday 19 October 2011

I heart baby #3...

The excitement of this baby feels a lot like our first pregnancy. Admittedly, there is the occasionally blip where I let fear get in the way but that's to be expected. The majority of the time is filled with pure peace and joy. Especially today, when we had our consultant appointment, she decided to check the heartbeat as we couldn't get in for a scan. She warned us that it was still very early to try to listen in for one but it's not impossible, she hears. So out comes the doppler and the jelly and away we go. It took a few minutes to find it (my blood makes a very loud whooshing sound) but there it was, the unmistakable sound of our little babes heartbeat! I was so unbelievably excited, Josiah and John looked on in amazement and the doctor was as chuffed as we were to hear it. She announced proudly that it was the earliest heartbeat she'd ever heard (apart from her own baby, which she heard at 11 weeks by a very old doctor!). So we are now waiting for a phone call for a cervical scan (sorry for too much information there!) which has to be slotted in for this week. We have our next one at 18 weeks. This is just to check that the cervix isn't shortening in any way and to make sure that there's no contracting going on that shouldn't be.

The other great news was this: while I do still have a heart shaped womb, the septum is only very minor and as I have already carried a baby full-term (and over!) and he was a (very!) good size, they aren't as worried as they would be if this was my first. If the septum was quite deep, they would have picked it up on my previous scans.

When we got home, I brought out our doppler that we hired to see if I could find Nugget. And low and behold, there he was!

So all in all, a great morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment