BabyFetus Ticker

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Dressing up...



I was having a good old natter with Anna, which we do very well I have to admit. We were reminiscing about our memories of the days immediately after having our children and how we felt et cetera. One thing we both remembered, and I'm glad she did too because I thought it was just me all this time, was all these midwives and seasoned mothers telling us that we shouldn't get dressed in the days after giving birth, that we didn't need to make an effort for anybody, that it's OK to not get dressed until 3pm. Fair enough. That may work totally fine for some people! But to ask first time mums 'your body's essentially just run a marathon, why would you get dressed?' in what seems utter disbelief when first time mums are very vulnerable at this point and will cower to anything anyone says (for the most part at least) irritates me a lot and quite frankly, I don't think its fair. Answer: 'because it makes me feel good!?' I don't understand how people feel comfortable saying things like that to others. For first time parents especially, people push their ideas on parenting or how to treat yourself after giving birth in a big way. Still, it's individual for everyone. I know for me, I couldn't wait to have a lovely, hot shower, wear something nice and feel normal again! 

Admittedly, walking to Tescos the day after giving birth for the first time probably wasn't the greatest plan. Genuinely thought I was going to die by the time we got to the end of our road. And I didn't have a shower (at home obviously) or get dressed until after the first midwives visited on the Sunday after I got back from the hospital. We had one friend who came to visit and looked at me as if I'd got a screw loose when I offered a cup of tea. They were obviously only looking out for me but I want people to be treated nicely and have a drink if they want to! Jesus would after all.

It's going to be very interesting this time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment